I recently started to make plates, cups and teapots for my Sylvanians. But I fastly had to discover, that it isn't easy... For me it was really hard! That's why I tried out a new method: using a silicone mold.
If you want to make a tea party set for your Sylvanians - using a silicone mold - enjoy this tutorial.
- a silicone mold (you can either buy it -I've seen them for 2-3$ online - or make it your own - about which I can make a tutorial if you want)
- FIMO or another polymer clay
- acrylic paints
- glace for the finished plates (if you want)
- a sharp knife and maybe some round edged tools
For the tutorial itself, there will be more pictures than text, cause I think it's more the less self explaining.
For the plates
1. Roll out a thin sheet of clay
2. Cut out a more the less fitting piece and place it into the mold (it hasn't to be round^^)
3. Press it into the mold - here you can use your fingers or some tools (like the one I'm showing in the picture)
4. Remove overlaying clay and slowly form it into a plate - orientate yourself on the mold
5. Carefully remove the plate, turn it to the other side and press it again into the mold (so you get a nicer plate-looking design... But of course you can also skip this step)
6. Carefully shape the plate into its round form and remove it from the mold
Repeat this steps for all plates and in all sizes which you want to have. I'm having 3 different sizes: saucer, cake plates and normal plates.
For the cups:
1. Place a ball of clay into the mold
2. Now take a tool, stick into the clay and carefully turn it around
3. Using this method the cup while become cupped
4. Remove the overlaying clay with a knife
5. Carefully remove it from the mold, bake it and than add a handle.
For the teapot (Just follow the pictures - if you have questions feel free to ask me :))
Bake all pieces, then it's time to take some colour!
I just add simple spots on my set, but you can also draw flowers or other nice patterns :). After drying you can seal them with glace.
|The plates all have the same size by the way, I just used the wrong angle to photograph^^.|
This is my finished set. I know it's still not perfect, but practice makes perfect ;).
The cups can be hold easily by a figure...
...and can be stored very nice. The Snow-Warrens will own this nice set :)
Hope you enjoyed the tutorial, please ask, if you have questions :).
I can also make a tutorial about how to make silicone molds.
Have a nice week,